Tuesday, November 08, 2005

 

Passing the g-baton

Time to take a break from studying! Here are some thoughts regarding the Youth Retreat. Think I’m getting old, I slept through the whole afternoon on Friday to recuperate. Thanks to late nights of Cranium and entertainment by Wai. Haha..Really give thanks to God for the Youth Retreat. Not only was the study of 2 Timothy very fruitful, the sharing of our lives was evident too. Just very much encouraged by the youths who have a desire to grow in knowledge of the Bible and seeking to live it out. Hard to describe the joy I have. :) Although it was my second time studying 2 Timothy, there are new insights and humbled me that we never study too much of a particular book. It was a very good reminder to guard the gospel and passing it on to the next generation, even in the midst of suffering. The aspect of Paul serving with a clear conscience was a strong reminder to check my motivations in serving God and His people, and seeking not to win the approval of men but God.

The often quoted verse in obituaries – “ I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7) has perhaps been understood as just finishing the race as a Christian. What about it in particular? However, as we understand it in the context of 2 Timothy, it is the race of guarding the gospel from false teaching, preserving its purity, suffering for it, entrusting it to faithful men and women and even making strategic plans for the gospel to go forth. Even as we reflect on whether we have the desire to say the above like Paul, the question I had in mind was “Am I already fighting the fight?”

Some of you may have heard me share about this. Hope I don’t bore you. Haha..Anyway, thought I’ll repeat myself here to encourage others who read my blog. :) In 2 Timothy 4:1, 8, it is mentioned that Christ will return to judge, and also the appearing of his kingdom. This kingdom consists of God’s people, which is also what will last ultimately. Looking at the young people in this ministry, it is my prayer that they may all run the race till the end. Pray that I may indeed treasure these young people and be faithful in my teaching and that my life may be a model for them.

Do join me in prayer for the youths in BTPC too, that they may continue to grow in maturity in Christ, and be willing to suffer for the gospel, so that the next generation may also hear of the gospel in its purest form. Exciting times ahead!

“For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? For you are our glory and joy.” ( 1 Thess 2:19)

Comments:
hey pal, thx for sharing! Definitely new revelation reveal in your sharing for 2 Tim =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?