Saturday, June 11, 2005

 

Short notes on Japan Trip :)

The Japan trip was really enjoyable, how I wished it could be longer. The package was pretty comprehensive, covering the main attractions in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo, which of course includes Mount Fuji, Universal Studios and Disneyland. A pity I did not take MANY pictures as some of you expected, although I used up both my cards. On top of that, my parents and I used up 3 rolls of film, and there are some pictures on my neighbour's digital camera. The standard of living is very high, and there is no way that you can get a bowl of noodles at $2. (exchange rate being 100 Yen = S$1.55) Perhaps you can get a triangular shape 饭团 at that price. Bottled and hot drinks from the vending machine cost around 120 Yen. Although it is quite pricey as compared to prices in Singapore, the variety is wide. I was quite excited when I saw the different types of drinks and was really spoilt for choices. Most were different types of tea, and you could even catch a video of the drink-making process while listening to some upbeat music. Tried this drink called cc Lemon, which supposedly contains a high content of Vitamin C. It is very refreshing! Had a chance to eat ramen at a roadside stall while being entertained by the owner who kept saying ‘好吃,好吃’. We thought it didn't taste too good though, a tad bit too salty and not much of ingredients, and it cost 600 Yen! Had a better deal on the last day at Ikebukuro, tasty ramen at a comfortable restaurant with prices that ranges from 390 Yen to 540 Yen. Surprisingly, the coffee at Starbucks is cheaper than in Singapore. Some snacks are cheaper as well. Generally, the cost of living is still very high. Transportation is worse, just a 12 minute ride on the bullet train cost almost S$20. So much about the costs, will share more about the people and culture when I'm back from the camp. :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?