Monday, May 16, 2005

 

Warning

The sermon and bible study today was on 'Birthright and Blessings' based on Genesis 25 and 27. Despite the sinfulness of man, and in this context, displayed in the scheming and deceptive ways of Rebekah and Jacob, God chose to fulfill His promises through them. Esau gave up his birthright to Jacob over some lentil stew (like red bean soup) without thinking twice. It was not even meat stew. This fulfilled what God told Rebekah earlier on in Gen 25:23 -“and the older will serve the younger”.

As we read Hebrews 12:14-17, it warns us not to be like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. Afterward, when he wanted to inherit his blessing, he was rejected. He could bring about no change of mind, though he sought the blessing of tears. The book of Hebrews was written to warn the Jewish people not to fall back to their old ways, and trade their inheritance for short-term pleasures and ways. Likewise, it also warns us against the same thing. In our days, it could be marrying a non-believer, choosing success or fame over God, and work itself could even subtly draw us away from God. In the above passage, the warning is very clear. We could be like Esau, just a step outside heaven, deeply regretful, but it is too late for us to repent. God has chosen us, but we are also accountable for the way we live. I'm really glad that we have a family in Christ, whom we can always be accountable to, as we await the glorious return of Jesus. At the same time, I'm also burdened for those who proclaim to be Christians, yet do not seek to live out the gospel in their lives.

Hymn 714: I Know Whom I Have Believed
Daniel Webster Whittle, 1883

1. I know not why God's wondrous grace
to me he hath made known, nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
redeemed me for his own.

Refrain: But I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

2. I know not how this saving faith
to me he did impart, nor how believing in his word
wrought peace within my heart.

3. I know not how the Spirit moves,
convincing us of sin, revealing Jesus through the word,
creating faith in him.

4. I know not when my Lord may come,
at night or noonday fair, nor if I walk the vale with him,
or meet him in the air.


Comments:
thanks for sharing dearie :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?