Thursday, February 10, 2005

 

Ministry Matters! Part II

Setting Hearts on Fire III– John Chapman
What is Apostolic Ministry: Acts 20:17ff

Taking a look at Paul and his ministry...

(17)Now from Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called the elders of the church to come to him. (18)And when they came to him, he said to them:
"You yourselves know how I lived among you the whole time from the first day that I set foot in Asia, (19)serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials that happened to me through the plots of the Jews; (20)how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, (21)testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. (22)And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by[
a] the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, (23)except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. (24)But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (25)And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. (26)Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, (27)for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. (28)Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God,[b] which he obtained with his own blood.[c] (29)I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; (30)and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. (31)Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears. (32)And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (33)I coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. (34)You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me. (35)In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

1) Paul's way of life was transparent (v17-21)

“You yourselves know how I lived among you the whole time from the day that I set foot in Asia.” Paul reminds the Ephesians elders that they have seen how he lived his life; he was humble in serving the Lord despite trials that he suffered as a result of the plots of the Jews; he did not shrink from declaring to them anything that was profitable, and teaching both in public and houses, testifying to both Jews and to Greeks of repentance towards God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. What he did publicly and one to one is the same, teaching the Bible.

2) Paul's perseverance in ministry (v22-24)

In spite of imprisonment and afflictions that await Paul, he perseveres in ministry by testifying to the gospel of the grace of God, which came to him by revelation at the road of Damascus. The message of repentance towards God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ goes hand in hand. It is a way of life.

3) Same Lord-Same gospel (v25-27)

Paul goes about proclaiming the kingdom, and did not shrink from declaring to the people the whole counsel of God.

Ministry is about the proclamation of the gospel and not holding back anything that is profitable. What do we want people to repent of and to trust? As we go through new circumstances, new temptations, we keep repenting and trust in what God has done for us in our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, we can say that Christianity “goes backwards” – looking at the gospel. Note that Paul repeats the idea here.

20how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, 21testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

24But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

25And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. 26Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, 27for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.

4) The Challenge (v28-30)

We are to keep watch over ourselves and our flock, and care for them for they have been purchased with his own blood. What do we do? We are to watch our doctrine and watch our lives. Sniff out error and sins in our lives and guard our flock! Significance doesn't come from by what you can do but what God has made of you. On the other hand, false teachers make us dissatisfied with our Christian life, that we need to do things to improve it or to be made right with God.

5) The Persistent Pastor (v31-35)

With the above challenge, we need to guard ourselves against false teachers, and be faithful in proclaiming the gospel plainly, renouncing any disgraceful, underhanded ways. We are to admonish others faithfully and constantly, building them up in God's Word.

Each time I look at Paul's way of life and ministry, I feel ashamed of myself. His life of devotion to preaching the gospel faithfully and loving others is a model for me and all fellow believers. The priority of godliness and maturity in Christ marks the content of his prayers, and he presses on in ministry despite all the afflictions he goes through. How can our inconvenience in traveling and sacrifices in time and money for the gospel work ever compare to what he went through? May we be encouraged and continue to spur each other on as partners in the gospel.

Acts 20:24

24But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

If I've made any mistakes, please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :) Any other suggestions are welcomed too!



Comments:
hehe... i belive that this is your longest entry... and i enjoyed readin it. No errors from what i could see ;) think i don't need to write my entry liao! :p
 
thanks yong chieh, for pointing that out. i've removed the extra lines. :p
 
haha..adrian..you must be kidding...think mine is too brief.
 
too brief? hmm... its not an exposition definitely, but its a short summary that's not difficult to read :) kinda like Vaughan as compared to Goldsworthy ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?