Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

Ministry Matters! Part I

It was a good weekend learning God's Word and building relationships with like-minded Christians. Just like to share some lessons I've learnt and some personal thoughts. Although I must say that my sharing here won't be as in-depth as some of my friends'. Do check out Adrian's if you are interested, since he has mentioned in his blog about outlines to come.

Although it's my third time attending MM, I'm still very much refreshed and encouraged by the lessons learnt, not to forget the meaningful friendships and gospel partnerships formed and strengthened. I strongly encourage everyone to attend in the future, regardless of whether you are considering full-time paid Christian ministry. What's more important is being clear about what Christian ministry is, and how we should go about doing it as revealed to us through the Bible.

Lessons which I've learnt:

Setting Hearts on Fire I &II – John Chapman
The Nature and Content of Christian Ministry: 2Cor 4:1-6

1) We do not lose heart in ministry because it is by God's mercy that we have this gospel ministry. Therefore, losing heart is also a temptation which we will face especially when the going gets tough.

2) Preach the gospel faithfully; set the truth plainly without any shameful, disgraceful and underhanded ways. Example, by working people's emotions over.

3) The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers. Only God can open their blind eyes. Thus, we are to be in total dependence on God for results.

As John Chapman puts it, the best and succinct message of Christian ministry – 2 Cor 4:5
“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake.”

4) If we are to proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord, let us be clear of who he is! Jesus is Ruler, Judge and Saviour. Our response to this is to live a life of repentance and faith. To repent means to turn over to a new way of living under God's rule. We can repent but may not have much feeling about it. Unfortunately, sometimes we may have much feeling about the things we have done wrong, but we do not repent of our ways.

5) Since we are servants (slaves) for Christ sake, we are to love his people too. Do we see ourselves as slaves of other Christians? One example is to make our teaching/ sermon as easy as possible for them to understand, making it a pleasure for them to listen and learn.


As for personal thoughts, I thank God for His mercy that I can be saved, and now being part of this gospel ministry. It is a good reminder to me to proclaim the gospel faithfully, not with any underhanded ways, but simply setting the truth plainly. May God have mercy on those who still reject Him, that He may unveil their blinded minds.

Will continue sharing after I've sort out my notes. :)


Comments:
Wah.. u put pressure on me leh yifen :p *joking* but yeah, will be sharing personal lessons from MM. At the end of the day however, thx for introducing me to PT & MM :)

P.S. think ppl wld prefer to look at the brief lessons learnt from your blog :p
 
Hahaha..no pressure lah adrian. cater to different readers i guess. yong chieh, now that you mention it, i think it sounds good! you don't think too much lah. by God's grace, we may have such a theological college or church in S'pore one day. :)
 
=)

Thanks for putting up your lessons learnt!

May put up the stuff on my side also, to share (and hopefully get a grasp on what I've learnt, before I fail to recognise my messy handwriting!) with others also.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?