Tuesday, August 31, 2004

 

Obligation

The word 'Obligation' has been mentioned very much in the past few days, esp. during my conversation with a friend, whom I shall call Z. Was pretty upset yesterday after a so called debate with Z. Perhaps it's a misunderstanding, or what I've said doesn't hold. I gave the impression that I've been obliged to a group of people. Though I was frustrated explaining myself, but through it all, it made me think clearly of my motivation in the things that I do. Anyway, I do thank Z for that.

Are we obliged to our friends? This is another question that came out of the conversation. In life, we hold expectations. We expect 5 star hotels to provide excellent service. We expect the food from a well-known stall to be good. We expect someone to treat us the way we treat him or her. We expect our close friends to be there for us when we need them. I don't know how to deal with the friendship, all I know that it is tough. Tough because we hold different perspectives. Perhaps it may not be as close as before....But, I would not want to lose this friendship...


Comments:
I'm obliged to tell you sister, that we're not obliged to be obliged to obligations... (ok,bad joke)

Somehow, I believe that these obligations come from having these expectations about people, that you'd want to fulfill them too, especially when things seem bad

V long nv get to talk to you liaoz ah, take care sister!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Thanks Ray. :) Hope to catch up with you soon! Take care and see you around.
 
Hi yifen...kwek here. Here to ka jiao ur blog again. Eh...i guess i have a wide scope of friends, but very few whom i can call close. i think obliged is too strong a word...or rather inaccurate word. I dun think its obliged...cuz that implies that we "have" to help our friend. I think help shud come willingly and with full sincerity. I guess its whether u want to...not whether u are obliged to it or not. Besides, how to draw the line?? What degree of closeness warrants being obliged to a friend? guess tahts why u and ur fren had a misunderstanding...cuz he feels he is a gd enuf a fren for u to be obliged to help him. Take it as it comes ya? my two cents worth...Kwek =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?